BOLIVIA PASSES THE LAW WHICH DECLARES MOTHER EARTH HAS RIGHTS
Came across this this morning. The world is truly starting to wake up! It’s about bloody time! Though it’s a shame and a bit ironic they have to pass a man-made law in order to recognise mother earth has rights. But finally a governing body recognises that Mother Earth is a living being and we must take care to protect and care for her. Beautiful 🙂
Below is a direct quote:
Law of the Rights of Mother Earth, was passed by Bolivia’s Plurinational Legislative Assembly.
Read The Full English Translation: http://bit.ly/TT4adw
Full Original Spanish Translation: http://bit.ly/hnjihc
Precedent: The law is considered to be the first instance of environmental law that gives legal personhood to the natural system, and may also allow for citizens to sue individuals and groups as part of “Mother Earth” in response to real and alleged infringements of its integrity.
The law defines Mother Earth as “…the dynamic living system formed by the indivisible community of all life systems and living beings whom are interrelated, interdependent, and complementary, which share a common destiny; adding that “Mother Earth is considered sacred in the worldview of Indigenous Peoples and nations. In this approach human beings and their communities are considered a part of mother earth, by being integrated in “Life systems” defined as complex and dynamic communities of plants, animals, micro-organisms and other beings in their environment, in which human communities and the rest of nature interact as a functional unit, under the influence of climatic, physiographic and geologic factors, as well as the productive practices and cultural diversity of Bolivians of both genders, and the cosmovisions of Indigenous nations and Peoples, intercultural communities and the Afro-Bolivians.
This definition can be seen as a more inclusive definition of ecosystems because it explicitly includes the social, cultural and economic dimensions of human communities.The law also establishes the juridical character of Mother Earth as “collective subject of public interest”, to ensure the exercise and protection of her rights. By giving Mother Earth a legal personality, it can, through its representatives (humans), bring an action to defend its rights.
Additionally, to say that Mother Earth is of public interest represents a major shift from a anthropocentric perspective to a more Earth community based perspective. >http://bit.ly/TTiTVE
RIGHTS OF MOTHER EARTH
Article 7. (RIGHTS OF MOTHER EARTH)
I. Mother Earth has the following rights:
1. To life: The right to maintain the integrity of living systems and natural processes that sustain them, and capacities and conditions for regeneration.
2. To the diversity of life: It is the right to preservation of differentiation and variety of beings that make up Mother Earth, without being genetically altered or structurally modified in an artificial way, so that their existence, functioning or future potential would be threatened.
3. To water: The right to preserve the functionality of the water cycle, its existence in the quantity and quality needed to sustain living systems, and its protection from pollution for the reproduction of the life of Mother Earth and all its components.
4. To clean air: The right to preserve the quality and composition of air for sustaining living systems and its protection from pollution, for the reproduction of the life of Mother Earth and all its components.
5. To equilibrium: The right to maintenance or restoration of the interrelationship, interdependence, complementarity and functionality of the components of Mother Earth in a balanced way for the continuation of their cycles and reproduction of their vital processes.
6. To restoration: The right to timely and effective restoration of living systems affected by human activities directly or indirectly.
7. To pollution-free living: The right to the preservation of any of Mother Earth’s components from contamination, as well as toxic and radioactive waste generated by human activities.
- ISON survives?
- Anti-War website sues FBI for spying on them
- My Response to BBC’s World Have Your Say in regards to the UK Government voting “no” to military action in Syria
- What’s really going on in Syria? Step back and see the bigger picture for yourself.
- Scientists create device that tears hole in the fabrics of time